- 3 pint canning jars, wide mouth, with lids
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, washed and stems removed
- 2.75 cups water
- 4 tbsp salt, not iodized
- .75 cup white vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Bring water vinegar and salt to a boil, stirring until salt is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Trim beans to fit in jars lengthwise, leaving ½-inch empty space above the beans.
- Blanch beans by submersing them in boiling water for two minutes, then immediately chilling them in ice water.
- Place garlic and dill in the pint jars, then fill with beans, standing them upright.
- Add peppercorns and red pepper flakes.
- Pour cooled brine over beans, completely covering them.
- Cover tightly with lids and refrigerate for 48 hours before eating.
- Use within one month. Discard earlier than that if brine becomes cloudy, meaning the beans have begun to spoil.
Notes: These are great as a snack, added to a salad, on a charcuterie board. They make a special gift as well.
SOURCE: Adapted from Biscuits & Burlap, biscuitsandburlap.com, Refrigerator Pickled Green Beans