- apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- lemon, juiced
- cup sugar
- tbsp flour
- tsp cinnamon OR ¼ tsp cardamom
- pinch salt
- prepared pie crust from the grocery refrigerated section
- OR enough homemade pie crust for a one-crust pie.
- tbsp butter
- egg, beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 425o.
- Mix apple slices with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Mix sugar, flour, your choice of spice and salt in a separate bowl, then toss gently with the apples. Set aside for a few minutes, allowing juices to develop.
- Unroll the pie crust onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- Place the apple mixture in a low mound on the pie crust, leaving a 2-inch border of crust around the apples.
- Dot the apples with butter
- Fold the crust border inward, partially covering the apples. Pleat the crust, allowing it to lie flat. Press the folds to seal them and brush the crust with beaten egg (see picture of finished crostata for guidance).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the crust is brown. Cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a serving plate.
SOURCE: Original recipe