- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, washed and tough ends removed
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled
- 2 tsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped OR
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- .5 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- .33 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil or other vegetable oil
Bottled Italian dressing may be used
- Place raw asparagus in pan that allows the spears to lie flat.
- If making dressing, mix all dressing ingredients in a blender until smooth, or whisk together in a bowl.
- Pour either homemade or bottled dressing over asparagus, cover and marinate for a minimum of 4 hours in refrigerator.
- Carefully remove asparagus to serving dish, leaving excess dressing behind.
- Before serving, finely grate a hard-boiled egg over the asparagus.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Notes: Grated romano or parmesan cheese is a nice addition to this dressing. If you don’t have time to fully marinate the asparagus, steam it for 2-3 minutes before adding to marinade. It will be ready in an hour. Food that is served with grated egg is often called “mimosa”.
SOURCE: Original recipe