Volunteer with York Fresh Food Farms in 2020!
- Urban Farm : Do you enjoy the sunshine and working with the earth? Help York Fresh Food Farms with a wide variety of urban farming tasks, including planting, weeding, harvesting, prepping vegetables, and beautification. Farmer Bruce & Selah will teach you what you need to know to be a confident helper on the farm!
- Mobile Produce Market : Starting June 1, York Fresh Food Farms will need two or more volunteers to help staff each Mobile Produce Market stop, operating 13 stops every week, both mornings & afternoons. Volunteers are welcome to meet Y3F staff at the farm to load up or directly at the market location.
Are you as an individual or organization interested in contributing some hours getting down and dirty on York City’s first and only urban farm, or helping us serve our neighbors at the Mobile Produce Market? We would love to have you for a one-time volunteer experience or a season-long service commitment. Season-long commitments receive a beautiful and joyfully-given food share upon each contribution of time and labor. Whatever you can offer, we invite you to meet us on the farm or at the Veggie Van this season! (See bottom of page for larger/specific service project needs)
Special Service Project Needs
The following are some larger, specific projects that we could use help with. If you and friends or coworkers feel up the challenge, please let us know!
- 3-Bin Compost Bin Construction
- Native Plant Garden Clean Up/Rain Garden Installation
- COVID-19 “Sneeze Guard” Construction for Markets
Young people making a difference. The 8th grade class from York Country Day School and the youth Sunday School at Messiah United Methodist Church planted native plants and pole beans, respectively, at the Farm last May. Thank you.
A big thank you to the work crew from UNFI. You all did terrific work helping York Fresh Food Farms with a lot of end-of-growing-season chores on November 9, 2017 – painting, mulching, building raised garden beds. Great job! THANK YOU!
October 3, 2017. Thank you Keep York Beautiful and volunteers from Columbia Gas for erecting 2 greenhouses at the Farm. The greenhouses will be used to grow vegetable plants for the Farm, for community gardeners and for home gardeners in the areas surrounding York Fresh Food Farms. THANK YOU!!
April 8, 2017. Thank you volunteers from Stock and Leader and others for helping to plant blueberries, asparagus and raspberries on a cool and bright day. These perennial fruits and vegetable plants will mature and be ready to harvest in two years. THANK YOU!